Monday, September 06, 2004

Bono on Bill O'Reilly

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: Tonight, the lead singer of the rock group U2, the legendary Bono. He has used his fame in a political way, forming a group called DATA, which stands for Debt AIDS Trade Africa. The group tries to help that continent, which is desperately poor, as you know, and ravaged with the HIV virus. What most people don't know is that Bono has worked with both Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill. He joins us now.

So are you a non-partisan guy?

BONO: I'm a non-partisan guy.

O’REILLY: You don't root?

BONO: I don't root anymore. Yes, I’ve stopped rooting. I'm rooting for people that don't have a vote and for people whose faces we don't see.

...

BONO: God is not going to accept that as an answer and history is not going to accept that as an answer.

...

O'REILLY: You're certainly doing God's work. I mean, I admire you very much for what you're doing.

BONO: God must have a great sense of humor to have me on board.

O'REILLY: No. No. We need people like you to command a worldwide audience and to get people at least thinking about this. And then we need the politicians out here in the convention, in both conventions to come up with a strategy. I do agree that if America could take the lead, it would turn public opinion around and help us in the war on terror.


Good stuff.

No comments: