Thursday, July 28, 2005

Superhero theme

We will move into our new building soon, but I don't know when. So I thought I would try to work ahead on this material and then be prepared to start the theme when the building opens, running for four weeks.

I hate working backwards though. I long at this point to be preaching through a book. I'm leaning towards Revelations. I know, I know, but I think I could do a good job with Revelations at this point in my life. I can guarantee it wouldn't be what anyone would expect.

So working with a superhero theme is working backwards. The idea is to link some Biblical theme (most likely on character) to a superhero, hopefully to help a child interested and understanding the metaphor. Working through Revelation, I'd just have to see what it is saying. Topical themes are much more work.

Superhero movies I have rights to:
The Incredibles (Disney)

Batman -- villain is The Joker (all of them are Warner Brothers)
Batman Returns -- When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda
Batman Forever -- Batman must battle Two-Face and The Riddler with help of an amourous psychologist and a young circus acrobat who becomes his sidekick, Robin
Batman and Robin -- The Dynamic Duo battles the combined forces of Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy with the help of their new ally, Batgirl.

Superman (WB)
Superman II -- The three outlaws from Krypton descend to Earth to confront the Man of Steel in a cosmic battle for world supremacy.
Superman III -- Synthetic kryptonite laced with tobacco tar splits Superman in two: good Clark Kent and bad Man of Steel.
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace -- The Man of Steel crusades for nuclear disarmament and meets Lex Luthor's latest creation, Nuclear Man.

Hulk (Universal)

Superfriends (WB - season one available from Amazon for $21.59) I ordered the season where the Superfriends fight the Supervillains. My plan is to have a big screen TV in the back of our worship area, and pre-church and maybe post-church, we will show an episode each week.

No comments: