Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Real Question

Brant posted a comment:

Respectfully, I don't agree that the "real question is does everyone get to go to heaven."

I agree there's no way everybody gets to go to heaven. Many/most don't even really want to.

(You can read the middle part of his comment in the comment)

My "real question", if there is one, for any of us: "Is the Good News of the Kingdom actually good news to you?"


Well, I would say we are getting at the same thing. At some point, there is a question of what does it take to have an eternal relationship with God that is eternal life that hopefully starts right now and transitions positively for me in heaven. You're looking for the answer at a slightly different point. I am saying at the time of judgment you will find out for sure the answer to that question and that will determine whether you go to heaven or to hell.

The real (we've worn out the welcome on the word "real") question is "Are you going to follow Jesus... cause it needs to start today!?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By the way, I laughed aloud at this:

"...I think you are following McLaren through his trilogy of books, BUT... just as McLaren, your next stop is HELL..."

Thanks for the laugh.

Again, I don't deny Hell at all. I think I've seen glimpses of it. Banda Aceh and Calcutta for two, and even in the way I can hurt people. Hell is the Kingdom of Brant Hansen, I swear.

But I think this "Is everyone forgiven?" question is more than academic. The American revivalist/evangelical/whatever church has developed its own theology over the years that needs to be challenged.

Jesus emphasized themes the church does not. The church emphasizes themes ("Here's the prayer to get to heaven...accept Christ...get saved...fire insurance...rapture, etc.") that Jesus simply doesn't.

As for who populates Hell, I'm humbly submitting that it may be forgiven people who ultimately didn't want God as King. I still stand awaiting correction on this.

(FWIW, I highly recommend the IVP book, "Two Views of Hell" on this. I now find much that's objectionable, scripturally, in the Dante-esque view largely held by today's American church.)

THANK you for talking about this stuff with me. You're a blessing, even from afar.

Brant