Thursday, November 08, 2007

Kid's Worship

Last night, we were asked to play worship music for the younger youth group (4th-7th grade). We brought in most of the worship band -- drums, bass, electric guitar, and my acoustic. We did some songs we liked -- You Are Good, Hope to Carry On, ... and some they liked -- Lord I Lift Your Name on High, Romans 16:19, Celebrate Jesus... and then I tried a new one for me -- Cartoon Hallelujah. The first song the kids looked a little overwhelmed. We sing three songs each week, but they weren't into it. One of the youth leaders, Tammy, had brought some instruments. So before the second song, I said, "Bring those instruments up here." Most of them took a rhythm instrument, but one boy took a recorder (flute). Then they started to have fun.

The drummer gave my 8 year old son a cow bell to play. Shyly, he held it down and tapped it. We were in the middle of a song, Romans 16:19 I think, and while the band played, I said let me see that cowbell, and did a little Saturday Night Live Will Ferrel Cow Bell. Getting the bell back, my son was still pretty shy but he kept the beat loud enough to hear. Good time.

No comments: