Saturday, October 04, 2003

Everyone is Looking For You

"Everyone is looking for you!" Surely you can relate to that. At work, at home, at church, aren't there times when everything seems to come down on you? Now this is a tremendous opportunity. I mean, if Jesus really wants to launch his ministry, increase sales, expand his audience, this sure looks like the chance to do it. What does he do? He leaves. He walks away. Everyone is looking for you! Oh, really... then we'd better leave. It cracks me up. Wendell Berry might have been writing of Jesus when he said, "His wildness was in his refusal -- or his inability -- to live within other people's expecatations." We are just the opposite; our entire lives are ruled by the expectations of others, and when we live like that, the heart is always the first thing to go. -- Awaking the Dead by John Eldredge, p 215-216.


I just finished the book Awaking the Dead. Wow. It really spoke to me. The last book that did this was Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship. Awaking the Dead may change my life. Seriously. I really want to start a small group to discuss it.

Other books that were this powerful to me? Christianity for Modern Pagans by Peter Kreeft. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien.

I wish my life went on and on.

No comments: