Thursday, November 20, 2003

Leadership III

Moses' ten year plan:

Year 1: Go talk to Pharoah
Year 2: Take the Israelites out of Egypt
Year 3: Move them to the Promised Land
Year 4: Fight the inhabitants of the Promised Land
Year 5: Build a fabulous capital city and call it Jerusalem
Year 6: Pray for a new captive group to release
Year 7: Go talk to the dictator of that country
Year 8: Take the new captive group out of that land.
Year 9: Move them to their promised land.
Year 10: Fight the inhabitants of that land and create a new ten year plan.

Does that strike you as funny? It does me. Godly leadership, at least for me, has been much shorter term than I would like.

For the most part, God has told me to deepen my leaders in their relationship with Him.

There has been some vague talk of building houses for the poor.

There has been some vague talk of freeing the people of our community from their bondages by educating them on how to use their money wisely.

There has been some vague talk of planting a new church somewhere around our community.

There has been some vague talk of creating some relationships with people in our community who are disconnected with God -- single moms, rough men, and 20 somethings who see the world completely different than the previous generation.

There has been some vague talk from God about us getting a visible office space in the community, probably downtown.

There has been no talk (from God) about owning our own facility, expanding our children's programs, hiring a youth pastor or worship leader, or having an Easter or Christmas cantata.

Here is my ten year plan:

Year 1: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 2: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 3: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 4: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 5: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 6: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 7: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 8: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 9: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.
Year 10: Deepen my leaders relationship with God.

In fact, I believe that everyone would be more of a leader if they only deepened their relationship with God.

So why the vague talk from God? Is that so that one of our leaders can say, "I'm supposed to bring detail to that." And hopefully, God will tell a leader or two to bring detail to those more common expectations too.

No comments: