Monday, December 15, 2003

Sermon Hook

I've been preaching at The Crossover for almost 4 years. People seem to like my preaching but when pushed to come up with what they like, they often mention the Survivor series. That was almost 4 years ago.

The part that was most grabbing was that I took two groups of people on a Sunday night, gave them a video camera, and told them to go help someone. I edited the tape, made it look like Survivor and made it a serial for the next several weeks. People still remember it.

I've been trying to think of another hook. Survivor isn't as popular now. American Idol was big, but I didn't watch it, and how would you use that. But I had a thought.

Joe Christian. Kind of based on Joe Schmo. The hook in Joe Schmo was that one guy, actually named Matt not Joe, was the only real person in the reality show. Everyone else was an actor.

In Joe Christian, Joe is the only Christian and not a very good one at that and is surrounded by the people in his house and has to react to different situations. I assume we would play it much more funny than serious.

Then in my preaching I would play off, what should Joe Christian have done there?

Good idea? Bad idea? It isn't to water down the content, but to make the deep content more memorable.

No comments: