Friday, March 10, 2006

Bridging Culture

NEW YORK (Reuters) -
Osama bin Laden's niece, an aspiring singer who posed for a sexy photo shoot in a men's magazine last year, has signed up for a reality television show about her life and her as yet unfulfilled "quest for stardom."

Wafah Dufour Bin Ladin, whose mother was married to the al Qaeda leader's half brother, was born in California but lived in Saudi Arabia from the age of three to 10.

...

Based in New York, Dufour has been promoting herself as a musician and last December appeared in a sultry GQ photo spread, reclining on satin sheets wrapped in feathers and posing in a bubble bath wearing nothing but a necklace.

"Her story will bridge the gap that people feel exists between the cultures she has lived in," ReganMedia President Judith Regan said.


Does she sound like someone who is comfortable in what I understand to be the Muslim culture? I don't think she's bridging a gap. She's using her infamous relationship to the most wanted man in the world to get a record deal. Sad. Where's the goodness? I'm afraid I failed on this one, but my interest in culture and bridging culture made me make the note.

No comments: