Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Star War's Kid Parent's sue
Read all about it.

12:33 PM Jul. 24, 2003 PT

The parents of the infamous "Star Wars Kid" are suing classmates who posted a humiliating video of their son on the Net, according to Canada's Globe and Mail.

Quebec teenager Ghyslian Raza was the target of worldwide mockery when a private video he made of himself practicing his lightsaber moves was uploaded to the Net by kids at his school.

Now his parents are claiming damages of $160,000 from the families of the four classmates who digitized and published the video. Ghyslain's parents claim their son was so humiliated, he is undergoing psychiatric care and may be marked for life by the experience.

Ghyslain's video was posted to the Kazaa file-sharing network in the spring.

The two-minute video shows an overweight teenager fighting a mock battle with a golf-ball retriever doubling as a lightsaber. The teenager twirls the "lightsaber" ever more energetically while generating his own sound effects. It is obviously not for public consumption.

Ghyslain was so teased about the video, he dropped out of school and finished the semester at a children's psychiatric ward, according to a lawsuit filed in the Raza's hometown of Trois-Rivières, Quebec.

According to the suit, "Ghyslain had to endure, and still endures today, harassment and derision from his high-school mates and the public at large." He "will be under psychiatric care for an indefinite amount of time."


Not sure what to think. It was really pretty funny. We all do stupid things. The key isn't to make everyone stop laughing at us, but to start laughing ourselves. I'm 37 and I'm just learning this.

About a month ago, I got mad because someone was laughing (at me or at the situation I'm not sure). I didn't blow up, but I didn't go on about my business for God either. I should have laughed. I should have laughed too. It wasn't a personal insult. It was funny. This young man will be in a mental ward if he doesn't realize it was funny. My hopes are for him.

No comments: