Friday, August 29, 2003

Men Not In Church

My neighbor strikes me as a typical man from our local culture. He worked around 30-40 years for the state, working on road repair. He's divorced. Macho. Rides a Harley. Drinks, sometimes to extreme on purpose. Hot tempered. Generous. Has attended church in the past, though not recently. Speaks of church as a good place to go. "I always felt better when I went."

He mentioned he was traveling to Mississippi. I said while you're down there, go over and protest in Alabama. I was referring to the 10 Commandments deal at their supreme court, and I wasn't serious. My mouth just seemed motivated to be moving.

He said, "I would! That's ridiculous. Oh, I wouldn't protest, but I'd vote for it."

I was kinda struck.

Then he said, "You know what they call the crookedest lawyer in the county?" What? "Your Honor!" Big grin.

It struck me, while he believes in an almighty God, he is extremely skeptical of people in authority.

No comments: