Friday, August 22, 2003

Queer Eye for a Straight Guy

I accidentally caught the last half of BravoTV.com > Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on NBC last night. As I looked for their website on NBC, it was obviously missing. They don't even mention it.

A friend asked me this morning, "We're they pushing the limits?!" The answer is yes, but not like you think. They showed a guy's bare bottom, but it was the straight guy not a gay guy. And the straight guy's girlfriend had about as much cleavage that is physically possible.

Five gay men, out to make over the world — one straight guy at time.

They are the Fab Five: an elite team of gay men dedicated to extolling the simple virtues of style, taste and class. Each week their mission is to transform a style-deficient and culture-deprived straight man from drab to fab in each of their respective categories: fashion, food & wine, interior design, grooming and culture.

Gay is such a funny thing about how people react to it. Many people are so repulsed by it. I'm not repulsed. I'm also not saying it is fine and dandy. Sin is sin. I'm wired to be pretty sinful myself (I was born that way) and that doesn't make it ok for me either. Queer Eye for a Straight Guy isn't that much different from Trading Spaces except they are open about who is gay and who isn't. On Trading Spaces you have to guess (Doug? Vern? Frank? Frank, right?).

I wouldn't say I'm hooked, but it was a well produced show. What's up with NBC not linking to it?

No comments: